On January 20, 1849, 10 years after the formation of the church the members passed and published two resolutions. The first resolution was against slavery and the second was in favor of temperance. It was in 1877 when the Methodists joined us in the Temperance Movement. Platteville voted out the saloons a year later. The Congregational Ladies Literary Society began on May 22, 1886. Mrs. Sarah Buck, a Reading Teacher at the Normal School (formerly the Platteville Academy), became the first woman to preach from the pulpit.
On January 29, 1984, the congregation took a position against the use of nuclear weapons stating “We do not choose to be defended by the use or threatened use of nuclear weapons”. The church declared its premises to be a Nuclear Free Zone and this declaration is on file at the offices of Nukewatch in Madison, Wisconsin.
On June 1, 2008 the church approved an Open & Affirming proclamation.
United in our desire to know God and extend Christ’s realm of justice, peace and love; we declare ourselves to be an open and affirming congregation. On June 11, 2008 the church was Listed Nationally as Open and Affirming congregation #764.